ePortfolio Forms can be used to created structured forms that students can then fill out. These forms can be used in situations where students have to save information at different points in time, for a longer period of time. With this storage facility students will be able to review the entire period of class when they have to create final assignments, presentations or reflections. ePortfolio Forms is a functionality that can be used in combination with the ePortfolio in Brightspace.
- Go to Administration in the navbar of your course.
- Click Course Admin.
- Go to Site Resourses and click ePortfolio Forms.
You will be navigated to the ePortfolio Forms homepage, where you will find an overview of all forms you have created.
- Click New Form Template.
- For Name, enter a name for your form.
- Use Description to give a short description about the form's purpose.
- Select Current Org Unit to make the form available for the current course.
- Click Save.
- Click Add System Field to select which information has to be completed automatically. A pop-up window will appear. You will have the following options:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Org Defined ID: u-/e-/s-number
- System Email: RU mail address
- Picture: image of the user
- Click Add Custom Field to add fields the students have to or can choose to fill out.
- Below Field Name you enter a question or instruction. Please note that this name will also be displayed in the ePortfolio of the users, so make sure you use recognisable names.
- Select Make this a required field if you want to make this field mandatory.
- Open the drop-down menu below Data Type to choose a type of data input. You can choose a template that the students will get to see. You have twelve options:
- Drop-down List: students have to choose from a drop-down menu.
- Radio Button List: like with the drop-down menu, students can select an option from multiple options, which will be shown in a list.
- Check Box List: students select a random number of options from a presented list with possibilities. Use this type when multiple options apply.
- Text Input - Simple Text: use this type when you want the students to enter text themselves.
- Text Input - Formatted Text: students can enter text in a text box with different layout options, for example font, size and style of the text.
- Numeric Input: use this type when students have to enter a number rather than a text.
- Date and Time Input: students have to select a time or a date.
- Information: use this option to add additional information to the form.
- File Upload: use this option if you want students to add a file.
- Rubric Evaluation: use this option to add a rubric. Students can then fill out this rubric.
- ePortfolio Item Link: use this option to give students the possibility to add a file from their ePortolio.
- Org Unit: students can select an Org Unit based on their enrolments. Select Default value to current Org Unit.
- After choosing a Data Type you will get to see the options that go with this type. In the example above, a question with a Check Box List was chosen. Below you add options for the different checkboxes.
- Click Save. You will be navigated to the changes page of the form.
You can add Rubrics to the form to let students assess themselves. Make sure you make the added rubric visible for students. To learn more, read the following article: How do I use rubrics?
- You can click Add Section Header to create a heading or partition line in your form.
- Use Reorder Fields to put questions and the Section Header in the desired order.
- Click Preview Form Template to view an example of your form.
Have you created a form for your course? Add it to a (sub)module in Content. This way students can easily find the form. After filling out the form students will receive a notification that the response has been saved to the ePortfolio.
- Navigate to Content in the navbar of your course.
- Navigate to the desired (sub)module.
- Click Existing Activities.
- Click ePortfolio Form. Then click the desired form.
It is also possible to have students fill out a form repeatedly. By adding a form to the Content of different modules, using the method described above, students can fill out a form multiple times. This way students can, for example, reflect on the answers they have given at the beginning and at the end of a period.
- Click Administration in the navbar of your course.
- Click Course Admin.
- Click ePortfolio Forms.
- Click the export icon to export the form.
- You can now download the form as a file by clicking the link.
Then navigate to the course you want to add the form to. Once in this course, navigate to the ePortfolio Forms page as described above.
- Click Import Form Template on this page.
- Click Choose file (Bestand kiezen). The files on your own computer will now be opened.
- Select the exported form.
- Click Next.
- Click Import.
- Click Done. The form has now been imported and added.
Completed forms are not visible for teachers. Students have to share the form from their ePortfolio or hand it in via Assignments. When you use ePortfolio Forms, it is advised to create one or multiple assignments where students can submit their forms.
- Navigate to Activities in the navbar of your course.
- Click Assignments.
- Click on the assignment where students can submit their forms.
- Select the form you want to view.
- Click View. The filled out form will now be opened.