Lecturers can opt to use a tool called Ouriginal to scan submitted assignments for plagiarism. Ouriginal is integrated in Brightspace. Students can submit their assignments in Brightspace, after which the submitted assignments are sent to Ouriginal.
Turn on Ouriginal for Assignments
You can turn Ouriginal on for both new and existing assignments. When you turn Ouriginal on for an existing assignment, all submitted documents will still be analysed.
Ouriginal supports the following file formats:
.doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .sxw, .ppt, .pptx, .pdf, .pdf 2.0, .txt, .rtf, .html, .htm, .wps, .odt, .odp, .ods, .tif, .tiff, .ps, .hwp, .pages
Please note: the file name cannot contain any special characters like ä, é, ô etc.
- Click Activities in the navbar and then click Ouriginal.
- If you use the tool for the first time, you will receive a notification from Brightspace. Click Do not ask me again for this application and then click Continue.
- An overview will appear of all created Assignments in this course. Slide the buttons below Turn On/Off Similarity Detection to 'on' to turn on similarity checks for these assignments. A confirmation question will appear:
- Click Yes.
Submitted documents can be linked to the Ouriginal account of the person who has turned on the similarity check (Receiver account). This has consequences when you want to work with the Ouriginal Webinbox, as this cannot be changed. For more information, read the manual How do I use the Ouriginal Web App?
You will then go to the same Assignments overview, only now the columns have been filled out:
- Below Submission Folder Name you will see the name of the assignment.
- Below Number of Documents Submitted you will see how many assignments have been submitted.
- Below Number of Documents Analyzed you will see how many submitted assignments have already been checked by the similarity tool. If you have just turned Ouriginal on for the assignment, it might take a while for assignments to appear.
- The Receiver Account is the email address where the submitted assignments and the similarity score are emailed to. This mail address is linked to the person who turned on the similarity detection in Brightspace. For more information, see How can I see the report of Ouriginals plagiarism detection?
- Click Turn off Similarity Detection to turn Ouriginal off again.
- Click Display Similarity Report to Students upon submission if you want students to be able to see the plagiarism score.
Click on the right tab Similarity Score Submission Detail.
In this tab you can use several filters, for example to filter groups:
- Select a group category under Group Category;
- Select a specific group from the Group Caterory under Group that you want to see the assignments from;
- Click Apply Filters.
You will now see all the submitted assignments that members of the filtered group submitted.
Students will not automatically receive a warning if Ouriginal is turned on for an Assignment. As lecturer you have to inform students yourself about the use of a similarity check.
After students have submitted an assignment, you will be able to find the similarity score in Brightspace or on the Webinbox. You could also opt to receive an email for every submission attempt of which the similarity score is known. You can turn on this feature by contacting Brightspace support.