A meeting held in the Virtual Classroom can also be recorded. This way students are able to view the session at a later time. It is possible to record a session automatically or to do so manually. Participants with the Moderator role have the rights to start, pause and play the recording.
Always inform students beforehand if the class is recorded. Students can choose to turn off their webcam and/or microphone if they do not want to be on the recording.
If you want to create interaction during a session and want to give students a chance to talk with their microphone then you can opt to temporarily pause the recording. For example, you can have questions rounds during the presentation and continue the recording afterwards. Once the recording is paused you can use Permissions to give everyone access to the microphone and webcam.
When you create a meeting you will have the option to automatically record the meeting. Automatic recording can be useful when you are a new user of Virtual Classroom and want to be sure that your meeting is recording.
- Click Activities in the navbar of your course and then click Virtual Classroom. Click the + icon at the bottom right to create a meeting. For an elaborate step-by-step plan about creating a meeting please read the manual How do I create a meeting in Virtual Classroom?
- Select Automatically record meeting.
When you click Automatically record meeting the recording will automatically start once the meeting starts. It is recommended to pause and start the recording manually during the recording so the start and the breaks will not be visible on the recording
Make sure that Publish recorded meeting is turned on so you can share the recording with the students later.
- Click Start Recording to start the recording.
Only record when you are lecturing. Do not start the recording until you start talking and pause it when you take a break in the class. This will make a rewatch much more enjoyable for students.
- When you start the recording you will see the recording time at the top of the screen. Click the time to pause the recording.
- Click Resume recording when you want to resume the recording.
The recording will end automatically when the meeting has ended.
- Click Activities in the navbar.
- Then click Assignments.
- Below Recorded Meetings you will find all meetings that were recorded. Click the three dots behind the meeting you want to watch and then click Preview.
- On the left side you will see the recorded presentation;
- On the right side you will see all participants who turned on their camera during the session.
In order to share a recording with students it is important to have the feature "Publish recorded meeting" turned on when creating the meeting.
Students can always find a recording by going to the Calendar and then clicking the day of the meeting. As lecturer you can make it easier for students by posting the recordings in that week's Content.
- Click Content in the navbar.
- Click the (sub)module you want to post the recording in.
- Click Existing Activities.
- Click External Learning Tools.
- You can then use the list to search for the recording or search for the title in the search bar.
- Then click the title of the meeting.
The recording has now been added to content.