Docent - Teacher

What do I do when I have lost my phone of forgot my pin-code.

Updated on

This article explains what to do when you loose your phone or pin-code, that are required for electronically signing grades.

If you have lost your phone, or have a new one, and even if you have lost your pin-code, we have to verify your identity again, as we did the first time. This so called 'vetting-proces', will be carried out by the administration office of your faculty. Please keep in mind that you take your phone as well as an identity document with you, when you apply for vetting.   

We apologize for this inconvenience and hope you can appreciate the maximum security standards we are using to ensure the highest levels of assurance.    

Previous Article When is a result I have entered visible to the student?
Next Article How do I sign results that have been recorded by my substitute teacher?