How do I use Ouriginal? | Ouriginal
Lecturers can opt to use a tool called Ouriginal to scan submitted assignments for plagiarism. Ouriginal is integrated in Brightspace. Students can submit their assignments in Brightspace, after which the submitted assignments are sent to Ouriginal.
Turn on Ouriginal for Assignments
You can turn Ouriginal on for both new and existing assignments. When you turn Ouriginal on for an existing assignment, all submitted documents will still be analysed.
Ouriginal supports the following file formats:
.doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .sxw, .ppt, .pptx, .pdf, .pdf 2.0, .txt, .rtf, .html, .htm, .wps, .odt, .odp, .ods, .tif, .tiff, .ps, .hwp, .pages
Please note: the file name cannot contain any special characters like ä, é, ô etc.
- Click Activities in the navbar and then click Ouriginal.
- If you use the tool for the first time, you will receive a notification from Brightspace. Click Do not ask me again for this application and then click Continue.
- An overview will appear of all created Assignments in this course. Slide the buttons below Turn On/Off Plagiarism Detection to 'on' to turn on plagiarism checks for these assignments. A confirmation question will appear:
- Click Yes.
Submitted documents can be linked to the Urkund account of the person who has turned on the plagiarism check (Receiver account). This has consequences when you want to work with the Urkund Webinbox, as this cannot be changed. For more information, read the manual How do I use the Urkund Web App?
You will then go to the same Assignments overview, only now the columns have been filled out:
- Below Submission Folder Name you will see the name of the assignment.
- Below Number of Documents Submitted you will see how many assignments have been submitted.
- Below Number of Documents Analyzed you will see how many submitted assignments have already been checked by the plagiarism tool. If you have just turned Urkund on for the assignment, it might take a while for assignments to appear.
- The Receiver Account is the email address where the submitted assignments and the plagiarism score are emailed to. This mail address is linked to the person who turned on the plagiarism detection in Brightspace. For more information, see How can I see the report of Urkund's plagiarism detection?
- Click Turn off Plagiarism Detection to turn Urkund off again.
- Click Display Similarity Report to Students upon submission if you want students to be able to see the plagiarism score.
Click the right tab Plagiarism Submission Details.
You can use several filters in this tab, for example to filter based on groups:
- Below Group Category, select the group category.
- Use Group to select the specific group from the group category of which you want to see the assignment;
- Click Apply Filters.
You will now get to see all submitted assignments from members of the filtered group at the bottom of the screen.
Students will not automatically receive a warning if Ouriginal is turned on for an Assignment. As lecturer you have to inform students yourself about the use of a plagiarism check.