- Click Activities in the navbar of your course.
- Click Assignments. You will land on the Assignments homepage to get an overview of all the assignments you have created.
- Click New Assignment to create a new assignment.
- Click the arrow next to the assignment to open the quick menu.
- Click Edit Assignment to edit an assignment.
- Click the arrow of the Availability Dates & Conditions tab to fold it out.
- For Start Date, choose the moment from which students can submit the assignment.
- For End Date, determine from which moment of the students can no longer see and use the assignment.
- Click Visible with access restricted. You will now see three options.
The choices you make here determine if and how students will be able to see an assignment before the Start Date and after the End Date.
- If you choose Visible with access restricted, students can view the assignment in the list, but not open it.
- If you choose Visible with submission restricted, students can open the assignment, but not yet submit it.
- If you choose Hidden, the assignment is not visible for students.
- If you enable Add availability dates to Calendar, the start and end date will also appear in the Brightspace Calendar.
- Click Done to confirm your changes.
It is possible to set different restrictions for what students see before the Start Date and after the End Date. You can, for example, choose to make the assignment completely invisible before the Start Date and keep it visible after the End Date, but without the possibility to submit the assignment.
If you enable the Calendar availability dates for the Start Date, this is automatically set for the End Date as well, and vice versa. The same goes for when you disable this option.
You can also set a default visibility for all future assignments.
- To do this, click Administration and then Course Admin.
- Under the heading Site Setup, click Availability Dates Defaults. In this menu, you can manage the default settings.
- If you want a different setting for a specific assignment, this can easily be changed via Edit Assignment as described in the method above.
Release conditions and Special Access
In the tab Availability Dates & Conditions, you also have the option to:
- Add release conditions if you wish.
- Select whether certain students are allowed special access to an assignment by clicking Manage Special Access under Special Access.
Manage Special Access
Go to the Availability Dates & Conditions tab, click Special Access and then Manage Special Access. The following window will open:
You can choose between the following options:
- Select Allow users with special access to submit outside the normal availability dates for this folder if different dates apply for certain students.
- Select Allow only users with special access to see this folder if only certain students can see this folder.
- Click Add Users to Special Access to choose student who have special access. The following window will open:
- If you want certain students to have a different deadline than the rest of the group, then add a different deadline below the Due Date.
- If you only want certain students to see the assignment, then add an altered Has Start Date and/or Has End Date.
- Use the Search Options to find students that have special access in any way:
- Select in the drop-down menu under View By if you want to search among all students in the course (User) or in a certain group (Groups) and click Apply. If you chose a group, you can then select which group you would like to search in the drop-down menu, (click Apply once more).
- In the search bar, fill in (a part of) the student's name or their student number to quickly find them. Now click enter (on your key board) or click the magnifying glass icon.
- Select the student(s) it concerns. Tick the box at the top to select all students that are showing up through the search filter.
- Click Save to return to the Edit Assignment page.
By searching per group, you can easily give the entire group within the course special access, without having to look up each individual student separately to add them.
Do you want to change the end date for students with special access during the course? You can do so by clicking Add users to Special Access again. Here, you can alter the end date, select the students to whom the change applies, and click Save when you are finished. If you do this, you are NOT altering the end date of the assignment! If you change the end date for the entire assignment, it will not be processed for students with special access.